A 5-ingredient marinated tofu scramble that will have you thinking they’re eggs. Start your morning off with a satisfying, plant-based, protein-packed meal. Ready in fewer than 30 minutes.
Why you’ll love it
This 5-ingredient marinated tofu scramble is the perfect breakfast food. Here’s why it will be one you turn to again and again.
The Secret Ingredient
There’s nothing crazy about this recipe. I’m sure you have pretty much everything you need to make this simple 5 ingredient marinated tofu scramble. All but perhaps one…
Kala namak. It’s a sulfurous, South Asian spice that smells just like, you guessed it, hard boiled eggs. And it’s what takes this tofu scramble to the next level. Black salt, as it’s sometimes called, is definitely a good spice to have on hand in your vegan kitchen. Plus, it lasts FOREVER!
The Tofu Scramble
Once you have the kala namak this recipe is super simple to make. Begin by pressing the tofu. You want to remove as much of the liquid as possible. To press the tofu, you don’t need a fancy tofu press: just a clean kitchen towel and a heavy skillet. Fold the clean towel around the tofu and place the skillet on top. If your skillet isn’t heavy enough, evenly disperse cans or another weight into the skillet. Allow the tofu to sit for 10 minutes until the liquid is removed.
While the tofu is pressing, combine the coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, cumin, turmeric, and black salt into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together the ingredients until they’re well combined.
Once the tofu has been pressed, crumble it into the bowl with the marinade. Gently toss the tofu and marinade together until everything is combined and well coated. Allow the tofu to marinate for 10 minutes.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1-2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil. Once the butter has melted, add the marinated crumbled tofu and toss to coat.
Stir the tofu periodically and allow it to heat through, cooking for about 5 minutes. When the tofu is done, serve it hot on toast or a bagel with your favorite vegan sauce and a side of vegetables. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
When you give this 5-ingredient marinated tofu scramble a try be sure to let me know. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Cumin- iron, essential oils
Tofu- calcium, copper, magnesium, B vitamins, isoflavones
Turmeric- iron, manganese, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, curcumin (cancer fighting and anti-inflammatory)
you might also enjoy
5-Ingredient Marinated Tofu Scramble
- 1, 15oz block extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp black salt (kala namak)
- Press the tofu for 10 minutes removing as much liquid as possible.
- While the tofu is being pressed, in a medium-sized bowl combine the coconut aminos, nutritional yeast, cumin, turmeric, and black salt. Whisk together until well combined.
- Crumble the pressed tofu into the bowl. Gently toss the tofu and marinade together until well coated. Allow the tofu to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1-2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil. Once hot add the marinated crumbled tofu.
- Stir the tofu periodically and allow it to heat through cooking for about 5 minutes. Serve hot on toast or a bagel with your favorite vegan sauce and a side of vegetables. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.