A simple vegan summertime dessert, these almond and strawberry rhubarb crisp bars are perfect for the upcoming holiday weekend. Sweet. Tart. Crunchy. Tender. Made from fewer than 10 ingredients and ready in about an hour.
Why you’ll love it
What better way to enjoy summer fruits than in a dessert? A warm buttery crust, gooey sweet fruit filling, and crispy crunchy crumble topping. What’s not to love about these delicious bars?!? Here are some other reasons why you need to make this crumble.
Making the Crisp
To make these almond and strawberry rhubarb crispy bars begin by preheating the oven to 375°F. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with foil and lightly spray it with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, make the base/crumble topping by mixing the softened vegan butter, oat flour, ¾ cup of coconut sugar, and almond extract with a hand mixer until it resembles course sand. Press ½ of the base mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and gently press down. Be sure that the base is even.
In a separate bowl, add the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, arrowroot starch, and the remaining ¼ cup of coconut sugar. Stir to combine and evenly spread the fruit mixture over the base mixture in the prepared baking dish.
To the remaining crumble mixture in the bowl, fold in the chopped almonds. Evenly drop the remaining almond crumble mixture on top of the rhubarb, strawberry filling.
Bake for 45-55 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and bubbling. When the crumble bars are done cooking, allow them to cool on a wire rack. Once they’re cool, remove them from the pan and cut them into 9 bars.
Now, go out and make these delicious and simple almond strawberry rhubarb crisp bars. Make sure that you let me know what you think and, as always, enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Almonds- protein, fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, calcium, iron
Oats- vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc, iron, fiber
Strawberry- vitamin C, folate, potassium, fiber, phenolics, antioxidants
you might also enjoy
Almond Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Bars
- 8 oz vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 tsp almond extract, optional
- 1½ cups rhubarbs, diced (about 3 rhubarbs)
- ¾ pound strawberries, diced, stems removed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, make the base/crumble by mixing the softened vegan butter, oat flour, ¾ cup of coconut sugar, and almond extract with a hand mixer until it resembles course sand.
- Press ½ of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish and gently press down.
- In a seperate bowl, add the rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, arrowroot starch, and remaining ¼ cup of coconut sugar. Stir to combine and evenly spread over the base in the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly drop the remaining crumble mixture on top of the rhubarb, strawberry mixture. Sprinkle with choppd almonds.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, remove from the pan and cut into bars.