A moist vegan banana poppy seed bread that is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and is oil- and gluten-free. Made in 1 bowl and using fewer than 10 ingredients.
Why you’ll love it
It’s like a mash up of the two best quick breads ever: banana and lemon poppy seed. I could make a shorter list of reasons why you wouldn’t like this. I guess, if you don’t like bananas, this might not be the bread for you. But other than that…Here are all the reasons you’re going to love it
I cannot stress enough that you need to use VERY ripe bananas for this quick bread. The bananas should be very soft and the peel should be almost completely black with spots. This is the PERFECT baking banana because it’s easy to mash and is at it’s max sweetness.
Banana Poppy Seed Bread
Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F. Prepare a standard sized loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes until it has thickened. This is your flax egg.
After the flax egg has gelled, add the very ripe bananas to the bowl and mash them. They should mash easily. Then add the tahini, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk the “wet” ingredients together.
Finally, pour in the almond flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together until they are just combined. Pour the banana poppy seed bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake the bread, uncovered, for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool in the pan before slicing and serving. Store any leftovers covered on the counter or slice and freeze the bread for up to 3 months.
I really hope that you enjoy this combination of banana and poppy seed. I think the flavors and textures work so well together. Please share your feedback and let me know what you think. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Bananas- vitamin C, B6, fiber, potassium
Flaxseed- Omega-3 fats, soluble and insoluble fiber
Tahini (sesame seeds)- lignans (fight hormonally driven cancers, breast and prostate), phytosterols
you might also enjoy
Banana Poppy Seed Bread
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2½ tbsp water
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal and water. Allow to sit for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add the very ripe bananas to the bowl and mash. Add the tahini, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- Add the almond flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. Whisk and pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake the loaf for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Allow the loaf to cool in the pan before slicing and serving.