Kid-friendly and 5-ingredient berry jam and chocolate sauce heart sandwiches. For the young and those young at heart these dessert sandwiches are sure to please.
Let’s make some no-sugar added berry jam! If you’re using fresh strawberries be sure to remove the stems first. I prefer to use frozen berries. They’re sweeter and have a hint of water on them so it thins out the jam a bit. Either fresh or frozen, don’t worry, your jam will be perfect.
In a small sauce pan, dump in your berries. Turn the heat onto high and allow the berries to begin releasing their juices. Once the juices start escaping the berries, lower the heat to medium and allow the berries to simmer. Using a wooden spoon, stir the berries to prevent burning and aid in squishing.
Stir occasionally and keep a fairly close eye on the berries. You’ll know they’re done when the jam is thick and the berries have all ruptured. The jam will continue to thicken as it cools. So while that’s happening, let’s make the chocolate sauce.
Would you believe me if I said all you need is about 4 ounces of dark chocolate to make a delicious chocolate sauce? Well, it’s true. Grab a microwave save bowl, drop the chocolate into the bowl and microwave on 10-15 second intervals stirring between. Watch the chocolate closely to prevent burning. No one wants burned chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted it’s time to assemble your sandwiches. And quickly. Because the chocolate sauce is JUST chocolate. No coconut butter means it’s going to harden back up eventually.
To make the sandwiches grab a sturdy bread, such as French, and slice it fairly thick. Then, using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out a heart on 2 slices of bread.
Now that your bread is cut it’s time to assemble these adorable berry jam and chocolate sauce heart sandwiches. Put a generous smear of berry jam on one heart and a heaping helping of chocolate sauce on the other. Smoosh then together, drizzle with more chocolate because, well, chocolate. Sprinkle with vegan sprinkles if desired and serve.
These berry jam and chocolate sauce heart sandwiches are simple enough for any time of the year. Make them this Valentine’s Day and enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Chocolate- magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, manganese; vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E; pantothenic acid; phenolic phytochemicals; flavonoids; caffeine; theobromine (antioxidant)
Berries- antioxidants, vitamin C, fiber, phosphorus, selenium, phytochemicals, folate, potassium
you might also enjoy
Berry Jam and Chocolate Sauce Heart Sandwiches
- heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 16 oz fresh or frozen berries of choice
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- french bread or sturdy bread of choice
- vegan sprinkles
- In a small sauce pan, heat fresh or frozen berries over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and turn heat down to low. Stir continuously to prevent burning. Cook for 10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
- Place vegan dark chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave chocolate for 5-10 seconds and stir. Continue melting and stirring until the chocoalte is smooth and creamy. Watch closely to prevent burning.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 2 hearts from a sturdy french bread. Generously spread berry jam on one heart and chocolate sauce on the other.
- Sandwich the two together, drizzle with additional chocolate sauce, and top with vegan sprinkles if desired.