This cauliflower and walnut crumb pasta is quick and simple to make. Vegan with a gluten-free option that doesn’t require the use of gluten-free breadcrumbs. Requiring only 10 ingredients and ready in 30 minutes this meal is perfect for a quick weeknight supper.
If you’re in need of a super quick and delicious weeknight meal grab a large skillet, get some water boiling and make this dinner tonight. All you need are 10 ingredients and about 30 minutes to prepare a family-friendly vegan and gluten-free supper.
To create a crumb for coating the pasta and cauliflower I decided to use finely chopped walnuts and a blend of dried herbs. This adds and earthy flavor and crunchy texture to the pasta that cannot be matched by breadcrumbs. It also makes this crumb gluten-free!
Simply place the walnuts, herbs, and spices into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles…you guessed it…breadcrumbs. To a hot skillet, add olive oil and sauté the walnut crumbs until their fragrant. About 4-5 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning. Once done, remove from heat and set aside for later.
Feel free to use this walnut crumb in place of breadcrumbs in other recipes. It would be delicious on top of a macaroni and cheese, lasagna, or used between the fillo dough layers on my Vegan Spanakopita.
To prepare the cauliflower pasta, begin by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. While the water is boiling, break up lasagna noodles into strips. Alternatively, use linguini noodles or any other long thin pasta shape. Be sure that your pasta is gluten-free in necessary. Cook pasta according to package directions.
While the water is boiling, heat olive oil over a large skillet. Once hot, add onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Next, add cauliflower florets and optional red chili flakes. Allow the cauliflower to brown a bit for 4-5 minutes. Once the cauliflower has a nice golden color add 3/4 cup of water. The cauliflower should be allowed to steam for 10-15 minutes. If after 15 minutes the cauliflower is still hard, continue adding water a few tablespoons at a time. When the cauliflower is tender, remove from the heat.
When the pasta is done, drain and place in the skillet with the cooked cauliflower. Top with walnut crumb mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.
And that’s it! Quick and easy! This cauliflower and walnut crumb pasta is a simple recipe that is sure to become your family’s go-to weeknight dinner. So grab a fork and enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Cauliflower- fiber, vitamin C, biotin, folate, sulforaphane to block cancer-causing chemicals
Onion- antioxidants; fiber; vitamin C; folate
Walnuts- Omega 3s, thaimine, B6, folic acid, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, Vitamin E, polyphenols
you might also enjoy
Cauliflower and Walnut Crumb Pasta
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¾-1½ cups water
- red chili pepper flakes to taste
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into strips or pasta of choice
- parsley and lemon juice for garnish
- Place walnuts, herbs, and spices into a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Add olive oil to a hot skillet and saute walnut crumb for 4-5 minutes until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside for later.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta cooks, in a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot add onion and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and chili pepper flakes to pan and saute for 4-5 minutes until slightly browned. Add ¾ cup water to the pan and allow to steam the cauliflower about 10-15 minutes. If the cauliflower is still hard, continue adding water ¼ cup at a time until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add chopped walnuts and cooked pasta. Toss to coat. Serve warm and top with chopped parsley and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.