Creamy, spicy, and rich, this cheezy Tuscan sausage dip is everything a good appetizer should be. All you need are 9 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare this party-worthy dish.
It’s Super Bowl Sunday and that means, another excuse to make and eat tons of delicious food. Ok, I don’t really need another excuse to eat delicious food, I eat it all the time. But I digress…As usual, let’s start with how amazing this dish is.
Why you’ll love this appetizer
Here are just a few of the reasons why you should make this dip and why you and everyone you serve it to will love it.
- Simple- All you need are 9 ingredients. It doesn’t get much easier than that!
- Quick- This appetizer comes together in less than 30 minutes so it’s perfect for preparing right before the party begins. (But don’t worry, you can totally make it ahead of time and re-heat it right before serving.)
- Creamy- You’ll never know that this dip is dairy-free. But it is!
- Spicy- Using fire-roasted tomatoes and spicy sausage makes for a dip with a bit of a kick. Perfect for spicing up any party.
- Hearty- This dip will definitely leave you satisfied and can even be turned into a main dish when served with pasta or over rice.
Cashew Cream & Vegan Mozzarella
Before we begin making the dip, let’s talk about the cashew cream and vegan mozzarella that you’ll need to prepare this addictive appetizer.
The perfect cashew to water ratio will give your dip a thick and creamy texture. And that’s what dips are all about right? To make the perfect cashew cream sauce for this recipe begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 cup of whole cashews, cover and remove from the heat. Let the cashews soak for 1 hour then drain and rinse them with fresh water.
Using a high speed blender, add the soaked cashews and 1/2 a cup of water blending until smooth. Stop periodically to scrape down the sides. The longer your blend it the thicker and creamier the sauce will be.
This is the BEST vegan mozzarella that I have ever made and it all thanks to this recipe. Give it a shot and I can guarantee that you won’t be disappointed. I works great on pizza, sauces, and dips. It melts and pulls just like the real thing.
Tuscan Sausage Dip
Ok, now that your cashew cream is ready and you have the perfect vegan mozzarella, it’s time to assemble your cheesy Tuscan sausage dip. Begin by heating a teaspoon of olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the sausages. Cook the sausage for about 3 minutes on each side. I turned mine 4 times so that I got a good char all around. Remove them from the pan and chop them into bite-sized pieces.
To the same pan and oil, add the diced onion cooking until it’s translucent and soft. This should take about 4-5 minutes. Next, add the mined garlic and Italian herbs. Cook for an additional 30 seconds, just until the garlic is fragrant but not burned. Stir in the cashew cream and the vegan mozzarella. Be sure to stir continuously to prevent a film from forming on the top. Keep stirring until the mixture is evenly incorporated and warmed through. Finally, add in the drained diced tomatoes and greens. Cook for a few minutes allowing the greens to wilt slightly. Then remove from the heat and stir in the chopped sausage.
Serve the cheesy Tuscan sausage dip with chips, fresh veggies, or even use as a sauce for your favorite pasta. This dip is the ultimate in versatility and I cannot wait to hear how your use it! Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Kale- vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, calcium, iron, folate, phytochemicals
Olive oil- monounsaturated fats
Onion- antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, folate
Tomatoes- vitamin C, potassium, polyphenols
Spinach- fiber, vitamin K, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, folate, vitamin B, vitamin A, glycolipids (cancer cell growth suppressors)
you might also enjoy
Cheezy Tuscan Sausage Dip
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1, 14oz package spicy Italian sausage*
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 batch cashew cream (1 cup soaked cashews blended with ½ cup water)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese**
- 14oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 oz fresh greens such as kale or spinach roughly chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sear the sausages 2-3 minutes per side until heated through and slightly charred. Remove from the skillet and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Heat the same oil over medium-high heat and add the diced onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and slightly browned.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning cooking for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant but not burned.
- Add the cashew cream and mozzarella cheese. Stir continuously to prevent a film from forming. Cook until incorporated and melty about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sauce is thick and melted add the drained tomatoes and chopped greens. Stir to combine and allow the greens to wilt.
- Remove the dip from the heat and add in the chopped sausage. Stir to incorporate and warm the sausage.
- Serve warm with your favorite chips or toss with pasta.