This curried chickpea salad is a light, quick, and simple lunch that has room for substitutes. Serve it atop a bed of fresh greens on between two toasted slices of bread. It’s vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and with an added sugar-free option.
Why you’ll love it
I love a quick simple lunch. Especially a lunch that don’t require me to heat up my oven on a hot summer’s day. Or a lunch that can easily be made ahead of time for meal prepping. That’s exactly what this curried chickpea salad is. Plus, it’s got these things going for it as well…
To make the curried chickpeas salad begin by toasting the shredded, unsweetened coconut. In a small skillet over medium-low heat, cook the shredded coconut for 3-4 minutes until it’s fragrant and golden brown.
While the coconut toasts, in a large bowl, mash the chickpeas until only a few whole chickpeas remain. Add the celery, dried cranberries, cashews, and lemongrass. Gently toss to combine the ingredients.
In a small bowl, combine the cashew yogurt, curry powder, turmeric, and ginger. Add the dressing to the mashed chickpea mixture.
When the coconut is finished toasted, let it cool and then add it to the rest of the chickpea salad. Reserve a few tablespoon for topping your salad.
Serve the curried chickpea salad over a bed of fresh spinach or as a sandwich on toasted bread. Top with additional toatsted coconut and chopped cashews if desired. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
There you have it! Such a simple, delicious meal that is light but will keep you going throughout the day. Let me know what you think down in the comments below. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Celery- vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium
Chickpeas- protein, fiber, potassium, folate, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, thiamine
Turmeric- iron, manganese, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, curcumin (cancer fighting and anti-inflammatory)
you might also enjoy
Curried Chickpea Salad
- ¼ cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup dried cranberries use fresh apples or grapes to keep it added sugar-free
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon grass
- ⅓ cup cashew yogurt
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- Begin by toasting the shredded, unsweetened coconut in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and golden brown.
- While the coconut toasts, in a large bowl, mash the chickpeas until only a few whole chickpeas remain. Add the celery, dried cranberries, cashews, and lemongrass.
- In a small bowl, combine the cashew yogurt, curry powder, turmeric, and ginger. Add the dressing to the mashed chickpea mixture.
- Add the toasted coconut, reserving a few tbsp for topping.
- Serve over a bed of fresh spinach or on toasted bread for a sandwich. Top with additional toatsted coconut and chopped cashews if desired. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.