Baked eggplant and tempeh atop pasta coated in a creamy roasted red pepper sauce. Using fewer than 15 ingredients and ready in about an hour this ultra satisfying vegan and gluten-free meal is perfect for a lazy weeknight supper.
Why you’ll love it
Perfectly cooked pasta tossed with a creamy roasted red pepper sauce and topped with tender eggplant and crunchy tempeh sounds like the perfect meal to me. Here are a few reasons why you might find it appealing as well.
- Customizable- Use zucchini or summer squash in place of eggplant or tofu instead of tempeh
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the red bell peppers in half and remove the stem, seeds, and ribs of the pepper. Place them cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. The peppers are done when the skin is charred and blistered. Remove the peppers from the oven and allow them to cool. Once they are cool enough to handle and the skin has slightly lifted away from the flesh, peel away and discard the skin.
Transfer the peeled roasted red peppers to a high speed blender along with the plant-based yogurt, walnuts, nutritional yeast, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Blend the peppers, yogurt, walnuts, and spices until the mixture is smooth and creamy. If you find that the sauce is too thick, add a bit more yogurt to thin.
Add the sauce to a medium skillet and warm it over medium-low heat. Add the spinach a handful at a time to the warm sauce. Allow to the spinach to wilt before adding another handful. Keep adding spinach until all 3-4oz have been added to the sauce and are wilted. Remove the sauce from the heat and add your favorite prepared, drained pasta.
Roasted Eggplant and Tempeh
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut the eggplant into cubes and crumble the tempeh. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with cumin, paprika, and umami seasoning. If you do not have umami seasoning, don’t worry. You can just substitute in equal amounts of either cumin for a savory flavor or paprika for spice.
Toss the eggplant and tempeh until they are evenly coated with spices. Flatten them out into an even layer and bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring half way. The eggplant is finished when it’s tender. The tempeh should be crunchy.
Remove the tray from the oven and toss with roasted red pepper sauce and prepared pasta. Or serve the pasta with the eggplant and tempeh on top. It’s best when fresh and can be topped with fresh herbs, red chili pepper flakes, and/or vegan parmesan cheese.
Be sure to give this eggplant and tempeh pasta with roasted pepper sauce a try the next time you’re in the mood for a comforting weeknight meal. And when you do, be sure to let me know what you think. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Bell Peppers- vitamin C, beta carotene, B vitamins
Cumin- iron, essential oils
Eggplant- potassium, copper, folate, magnesium, fiber, flavonoids & phenols (fight cancer, viruses, harmful bacteria, protect against cell damage)
Spinach- fiber, vitamin K, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, folate, vitamin B, vitamin A, glycolipids (cancer cell growth suppressors)
Walnuts- Omega 3s, thaimine, B6, folic acid, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, Vitamin E, polyphenols
you might also enjoy
Eggplant Tempeh Pasta with Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Food processor/High speed blender
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced in half, stem and seeds removed
- ¾ cup plant-based yogurt
- ½ cup raw walnuts sub sunflower seeds for nut-free option
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8-10 oz pasta of choice, gluten-free if necessary prepared according to package directions
- 3-4 oz fresh spinach
Eggplant and Tempeh
- 1 medium eggplant, cubed into bite-sized pieces sub zucchini or summer squash
- 1 package tempeh, crumbled sub pressed, crumbled, extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp umami, optional*
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place red bell peppers cut-side down and roast for 25 minutes until the skin is charred and blistered. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Then peel away and discard the skin.
- Add the peeled roasted red peppers to a high speed blender along with the plant-based yogurt, walnuts, nutritional yeast, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy adding more yogurt if needed to thin.
- Add the sauce to a skillet and heat. Add spinach and allow to wilt. Remove from the heat and add the drained pasta.
Eggplant Tempeh Pasta
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place cubed eggplant and crumbled tempeh on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with cumin, paprika, and umami seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring half way.
- Remove from oven and toss with roated red pepper sauce and prepared pasta. Serve warm with fresh herbs, red chili pepper flakes, and vegan parmesan cheese.