Peppermint crispy treats that are vegan, only require 6-ingredients, and take 15 minutes to prepare. Crunchy, sweet, chocolate-y and full of festive peppermint flavors this simple dessert is sure to please adults and kids alike this holiday season.
Why you’ll love them
My crispy treat-hating husband can’t seem to put these peppermint krispy rice treats down! So if I can make a believer out of him…I know you and anyone you share them with will be 100% satisfied. And here’s why:
- Simple- All you need are 6 ingredients and about 15 minutes of prep time. Doesn’t get much easier than that!
- Crunchy- Make sure that your crispy rice cereal is fresh!
- Gooey- I mean, marshmallows = gooey. It’s the crunchy gooey combo that makes this dessert so addicting.
- Chocolate- With just a thin layer of chocolate that seeps into the cracks and crevices of the cereal and marshmallows, you get a surprise hint of chocolate in unexpected places.
- Peppermint-As if the chocolate wasn’t enough, you get an amazing hint of peppermint at the end to lighten up the dessert!
Everyone knows how a crispy rice treat works: crispy rice cereal, marshmallows, oil. Nothing crazy going on here right? I told you, this is an EASY dessert recipe. It’s not the method or even the simple, basic ingredients that we’re going to change- it’s the flavor profile. Let’s start with the marshmallows. You’ll want to get your hands on these: Dandie’s mini peppermint marshmallows. They’re going to take your crispy treat from ordinary to, well, you know…But don’t worry if you can’t find these seasonal vegan mallows. Keep reading to find out how you can transform even vanilla flavored Dandie’s into this festive holiday treat.
In a large pot over medium high heat, melt refined coconut oil. Once melted add vegan peppermint marshmallows and stir continuously until the mixture is well combined. Be sure to have your crispy rice cereal already pre-measured and ready to go. Now, if you are using regular vegan marshmallows you’ll also want to have 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of peppermint oil on hand.
Once completely melted and combined, stir in crispy rice cereal. Then, using a wooden spoon, gently press into an 8×8 glass baking dish. If the mixture is sticking too much to your spoon you can use a plastic spoon that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Or, you can use your fingers. Just use caution as the mixture will be hot.
So, if you’re using regular marshmallows you’ll want to add the peppermint oil to the hot coconut oil-marshmallow mixture before adding the crispy rice cereal. Then continue preparing as mentioned above.
Peppermint Chocolate Topping
Once the crispy rice treats are formed in the glass baking dish you can begin making the peppermint chocolate topping. In a large, microwavable bowl combine dark chocolate chips and refined coconut oil. Microwave for 20 seconds then stir. Continue microwaving and stirring until the chocolate mixture is just melted. Do not over-microwave or you will burn your chocolate. While the chocolate is melting, prepare the candy cane topping by crushing them into bite-sized pieces.
At this point you can add the optional peppermint extract to the chocolate mixture and stir before pouring over the crispy rice treats or just omit the peppermint and pour on the prepared crispy rice treats. Quickly top with crushed candy canes. Place the treats in the refrigerator, uncovered, and allow the ganache to harden. About 1 hour.
I hope that you’ll give these peppermint crispy treats a go this holiday season. And when you do, be sure to let me know what you think of them in the comments below.
Ingredient Health Benefits
Chocolate-magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, manganese; vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E; pantothenic acid; phenolic phytochemicals; flavonoids; caffeine; theobromine (antioxidant)
you might also enjoy
Peppermint Crispy Treats
Crispy Rice Layer
- 2½-3 cups crispy rice cereal*
- 1, 10 oz bag Dandies peppermint marshmallows**
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil***
Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 1, 9 oz bag vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp refined coconut oil***
- ¼-½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1-2 candy canes, crushed
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt peppermint marshmallows with refined coconut oil stirring continuously with a rubber spatula. Once melted add crispy rice cereal. Firmly press into an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Place vegan chocolate and refined coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 20 seconds and stir, repeating until the chocolate is melted. Add the peppermint extract and pour over top of peppermint crispy treat base.
- Quickly top with crushed candy canes.
- Place in the refridgerator for 1 hour to firm, carefully cut into bars, and serve after sitting out for about 5-10 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator.