Consider this the best quick vegan chili you will ever have, or need. It’s hearty, comforting, and customizable. Plus, I’ll share with you the secret to the best chili ever. Spoiler: you don’t need meat to have delicious chili.
Why you’ll love it
Who doesn’t love a comforting bowl of chili (with a side of cornbread of course)? This chili is ready in 30 minutes (but don’t worry, it’ll taste like it’s been simmering all day). Here are just a few other reasons why you need to make this vegan chili and soon!
- Cocoa powder (need I say more?)
Vegan Chili Ingredients
This is such a fantastic chili recipe because it can easily be adapted to your preferences or you can use what you have on hand. Here are just a few of the things that you’ll need to make this chili.
- Cocoa powder- It’s my secret ingredient and of all the things in this recipe it is the one thing that you MUST use! It adds such a warmth to this chili that just can’t be matched or imitated.
- Kidney beans- I love using a mix of dark and light kidney beans. Feel free to use pinto beans, black beans, or your favorite bean. Don’t worry, this chili will be awesome no matter which kind you use!
Making the Chili
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion. At this point, you can also add other vegetables such as diced bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant…Cook the onions (and any other add-ins) for 3-4 minutes until they’re soft and translucent.
Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cacao powder, and coriander. Stir to combine the ingredients and bring it to a simmer. Cover and simmer on low for at least 15 minutes or longer. The longer it simmers, the better and more flavorful the chili will be.
Five minutes before serving, add the drained and rinsed dark kidney and northern beans (or beans of choice). Stir to combine the ingredients and allow the beans to warm through. Serve hot over cooked quinoa or with a side of cornbread.
I know that you will love this quick vegan chili just as much as my family does. Double the batch to make sure you have enough for leftovers. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Cumin- iron, essential oils
Onion- antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, folate
you might also enjoy
Quick Vegan Chili
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1, 15oz can dark red kidney beans*, drained and rinsed
- 1,15oz can northern beans**, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft and transluecent.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cacao powder, and coriander. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes or longer (up to 4 hours).
- 5 minutes before serving, add the drained and rinsed dark kidney and northern beans. Stir to combine and allow the beans to warm through. Serve hot with a side of cornbread.