Loaded with plant-based protein and flavorful spices these 8 ingredient quinoa and black bean patties are simple and quick to make. Perfect to use up some pantry staples and easily customizable to use what you have on-hand.
Why you’ll love them
These quinoa and black bean patties are super simple to make and can be made in about 30 minutes from food you’ve already got in your pantry. Loaded with fiber and plant-based protein they’ll leave you satisfied and ready to take on the day. Perfect for lunch or dinner, here are more reasons why they’re sure to love them:
Begin by preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cooked and cooled quinoa, black beans (reserve ½ a cup for later use), green onions, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, paprika, and optional umami seasoning. Pulse the ingredients until they’re just combined. Add in the reserved black beans and pulse 2-3 times just to chop. If you don’t want chunks of black beans in your patties just add all the beans at the beginning. The texture is strictly personal preference so you do you.
Using about 1/2 a cup of the mixture, shape it into a ball and gently press into a patty. Place the patty on the prepared baking sheet and continue making patties until the mixture is used. You should be able to get about 6 small or 4 large patties.
Baking and Serving
In the preheated oven, bake the patties for 15 minutes before gently flipping them. Continue to bake the patties for an additional 10-15 minutes. You’ll know they’re done when they’re dry and crispy.
Serve the patties as you would a hamburger; on a toasted bun with all the fixings. Some ideas are: tomatoes, lettuce, vegan mayo, katchup, mustard, sprouts, lettuce, vegan cheese, pickled veg of choice…Or you could even crumble the patties and serve them over veggies with your favorite sauce. I love tossing mine in with pasta and loads of roasted vegetables.
Stay safe out there and let me know if you make these pantry staple-friendly patties. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Black beans- protein, fiber, potassium, folate, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, thiamine, antioxidants
Cumin- iron, essential oils
Quinoa- complete protein; rich in iron, potassium, riboflavin, B6, niacin, and thiamine; good source of magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese; anti-cancer & anti-inflammatory properties
you might also enjoy
Quinoa and Black Bean Patties
- Food Processor
- 1, 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- ½ cup quinoa, cook and cooled
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp umami seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the quinoa, black beans (reserve ½ a cup), green onions, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, paprika, and optional umami seasoning. Pulse until just combined. Add in the rest of the black beans and pulse 2-3 times just to chop.
- Form the mixture into a ball and gently press into a patty. Place on the prepared baking sheet and continue making patties until the mixture is used. You can get about 6 small or 3-4 large patties.
- Bake the patties for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Serve patties on a toasted bun with all the fixings: tomatoes, lettuce, vegan mayo, katchup, mustard, sprouts, lettuce, vegan cheese, pickled veg of choice…Or crumble and serve over veggies with your favorite sauce.