These sweet potato dessert tots are a sweet twist on the classic tater tot. Only 5 ingredients, they’re a vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and naturally sweetened dessert that’s easy to make and sure to please all the littles you’ll be entertaining this holiday season.
Little fingers love little desserts. They also love tater tots. So when you combine the two you get an insanely easy, delicious, and kid-friendly holiday dessert. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and free of the Big 8 Allergens. All you need is 1 pot and about 20 minutes of prep to make this simple snack or dessert that anyone can enjoy.
Begin by bringing a medium pot of water to boil. Prepare your sweet potatoes by washing, peeling, and cubing them. Once the water is boiling add cubed sweet potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes depending on the size of your cubes. The sweet potatoes are finished when they are easily pierced by a fork. Drain and return the sweet potatoes to the hot pot. Allowing the sweet potatoes to rest in the pot will aid in drying them out.
Once the sweet potatoes have cooled a bit mash them using a potato masher or large fork to your desired creaminess level. I recommend making them pretty smooth just because some kids don’t enjoy highly textured foods.
Sweet Potato Mixture
To the mashed sweet potatoes, add the maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. At this point, you can also add the vegan chocolate chips (I use these semi-sweet mini chips from EnjoyLife) if you don’t mind them melting into the mixture. If you want your chocolate chips to remain whole, wait until the sweet potato mixture has cooled before adding them.
Forming the Tots
Before forming the tater tots, place vegan graham cracker crumbs into a small bowl. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 375*F. To form the tots: roll 1 tbsp of sweet potato mixture into a ball; toss in the graham cracker crumbs coating evenly; and place on the papered baking sheet. Continue until all the sweet potato mixture is rolled and coated.
At this point you can either leave them as balls, or form them into a tater tot shape. Bake the sweet potato tots for 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet. They will continue to firm as they cool.
Serve them with vegan maple cinnamon butter or dip them in melted vegan chocolate for an added touch.
Remember to let me know what you, as well as your little Thanksgiving guests, think of these sweet potato dessert tots.
Ingredient Health Benefits
Sweet potato-vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, fiber
you might also enjoy
Sweet Potato Dessert Tots
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed about 4 cups
- ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup vegan graham cracker crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil and add cubed sweet potatoes. Boil for 10-15 minutes until sweet potatoes are very soft and easily mashed. Drain sweet potatoes and return to the warm pot. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes then mash until smooth.
- Add pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, and vegan chocolate chips. Stir until incorporated.
- Place vegan graham cracker crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll a tbsp sized amount of sweet potato mixture into a ball and coat with crumbs. Place on lined cookie sheet. Continue until all the sweet potato mixture is rolled.
- Shape sweet potato balls into logs resembling the shape of tater tots. Bake on center rack of oven for 20 minutes. Remove tray from oven and allow to cool for additional 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Serve topped with soft vegan cinnamon butter or dip in vegan chocolate sauce.