This savory breakfast tofu scramble is filled with vegetables and served with roasted potatoes. Loaded with protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats it’s sure to keep you satisfied until lunch.
Nothing says good morning like a hearty breakfast, am I right? Well, say hello to your new go-to morning meal! This colorful little beauty is chock-full of all the good stuff my friends. If you need some serious energy to power you through your day look no further than this tofu and vegetable scramble with herb-roasted potatoes.
The Herb-Roasted Potatoes
I don’t know about you, but I love using a potato melody whenever I get the chance. I feel like naturally purple food is hard to find! These potatoes only get more vibrant as they cook.
Roasted potatoes are pretty basic but so flavorful and easy to customize. They’re a great little side dish to have in your back pocket for any occasion.
And this scramble…it’s loaded with plant-based protein, colorful vegetables, healthy fats and carbohydrates, as well as herbs and spices. Seriously, how can any other breakfast even compete right?
I used bell peppers, mushrooms, mini tomatoes, fresh spinach, and riced cauliflower this time but the possibilities here are endless. In the past I’ve added zucchini, yellow squash, kale, broccoli, asparagus…to name just a few. Use what’s in season or whatever you have hanging around your fridge.
Also, make as many or as few vegetables as you’d like. See how easy the veggie portion of this meal is to customize? The more vegetables you prepare the further into the week this meal with get you. Hint, hint: this makes a great meal prep option! I can usually get 3-4 meals out of it (at least)!
So put on some music, tune in to your favorite podcast, get your kids involved…Cut up some veggies, prepare this healthy tofu and vegetable scramble with herb-roasted potatoes, and enjoy.
Ingredient Health Benefits
Potatoes: Vitamin C, potassium (found in the skin), antioxidants in red- & purple-skinned
Soy: Protein, calcium, copper, magnesium, certain B vitamins, phytochemicals
Turmeric: Iron, manganese, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, phytochemicals
Simple Tofu & Vegetable Scramble with Herb Roasted Potatoes
- 16 oz extra firm tofu, pressed & crumbled
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 cups vegetables of choice (I love bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus, cauliflower rice, broccoli, kale, spinach)
- 1 pound red or melody potatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp herbs de provence (a mix of thyme, marjoram, savory, rosemary, basil, sage, lavender)
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- avocado, hot sauce, vegan parmesan or feta cheese, hemp hearts, additional nutritional yeast
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or coat with olive oil.
- Quarter potatoes, add to prepared baking dish and top with olive oil, herbs de provence, garlic, and salt and pepper (if desired).
- Roast for 40 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Stir half way through cooking.
- Meanwhile, begin by pressing tofu for at least 10 minutes to remove any excess moisture.
- Combine spices in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Once tofu is pressed, crumble into bite-sized pieces (resembling the size of scrambled eggs) into the blended spices.
- Toss to coat and allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash, trim and otherwise prepare the vegetables of your choosing for sautéing.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil if desired.
- Once hot add prepared vegetables (except any greens such as kale or spinach) and sauté, stiring frequently to prevent sticking. Allow to soften for 5-10 minutes depending on type of vegetables used and until desired texture is almost reached.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking add marinated tofu as well as any greens to the vegetables. Stir, cover and continue to cook until tofu is warmed through and greens have wilted.
- Serve tofu and vegetable scramble hot with herb-roasted potatoes on the side. See ingredients above for additional topping suggestions.