A vegan 5-ingredient tahini French toast that is crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, delicately sweet and has a hint of warm cinnamon. Tahini gives it subtle boost of savory that eliminates the need for eggs. It’s simple enough for a weekday breakfast and elegant enough for a weekend brunch.
Why you’ll love it
There are so many things to love about French toast. This one in particular has a little something specially. No fruit binders or egg substitutes required, it’s made perfectly form simple ingredients you already have in your pantry. Here’s why you are going to love this vegan 5-ingredient tahini French toast:
The ingredients in this tahini French toast are very simple and probably consist of things you already have in your refrigerator and pantry. Let’s take a closer look at some of the ingredients that you’ll need and some suggestions I have for making this the BEST French toast you’ve ever made.
Tahini- Make sure that the tahini you have is of good quality and is very smooth and runny. My favorite brand of tahini is from Soom Foods.
Almond milk- Any brand of almond milk will do. And if you make it at home, it will only add to the freshness of your French toast. Whether you make it or buy, just be sure that it’s un-sweetened.
Coconut oil or vegan butter (for frying) – I love coconut, don’t get me wrong, but for frying up French toast I personally prefer vegan butter.
Bread- Make sure that you have thick, stale slices of bread for dunking into the batter. Fresh bread will get very soggy and turn to mush. Also, if you’re looking for an excellent bread for this particular recipe, make a loaf of my brioche bread.
Tahini French Toast Batter
Begin by slicing 1-2 day old, stale bread into 1 inch thick slices. You’ll need about 3-4 slices to use up all the French toast batter.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the almond milk, maple syrup, tahini, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until they’re well combined.
Place a slice of bread in the French toast batter and allow it to soak for 30-60 seconds per side. Don’t over-soak the bread or it may begin to fall apart and will be soggy when it’s cooked.
While the bread is soaking, to a small skillet, add 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter. Melt the fat over medium-high heat.
Place the soaked bread into the hot skillet with the melted fat of choice and cook it for 2-3 minutes per side until its crispy and cooked through.
Continue soaking and frying the French toast. Be sure to melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil or vegan butter in the skillet before adding a new slice of soaked bread. Cook the soaked bread slices until the batter is gone.
Serve the French toast warm with more maple syrup, vegan butter, and fresh fruit. I hope that you love all the flavors of this tahini French toast as much as I do. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Cinnamon- manganese, iron, calcium, and fiber
Tahini (sesame seeds)- lignans (fight hormonally driven cancers, breast and prostate), phytosterols
you might also enjoy
Vegan 5-Ingredient Tahini French Toast
- 3-4 slices stale bread, thick*
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp runny tahini
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter, for frying
- Slice 1-2 day old, stale bread into 1 inch thick slices. You'll need about 3-4 slices to use up all the French toast batter.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the almond milk, maple syrup, tahini, cinnamon, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Place in a slice of bread and allow to soak for 30-60 seconds per side.
- While bread is soaking, to a small skillet, add 1 tbsp coconut oil or vegan butter and melt over medium-high heat.
- Place the soaked bread into the hot skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked.
- Continue melting 1 tbsp of coconut oil or vegan butter in the skillet and cooking soaked bread slices until the batter is gone.
- Serve warm with more maple syrup, vegan butter, and fresh fruit.