Made from only 8 simple and wholesome ingredients, these Vegan Eggnog Bites (AKA Lumps of Coal) are the perfect personal-sized snack to lighten up your holiday season.
If you’re looking for a festive snack or dessert that doesn’t require many ingredients or very much time and effort look no further than these vegan eggnog bites. They’re soft and smooth on the inside and, with an optional chocolate coating, crunchy and rich on the outside. Full of wholesome ingredients like chickpeas and cashews they are perfect for small hands. Or, with the optional addition of rum or bourbon, they’re perfect for adults as well.
Why you’ll love them
Incase you didn’t read the above paragraph, or perhaps you just need to hear it again to be convinced, here’s why you should make a batch of vegan eggnog bites:
- Kid-friendly version
Desserts really don’t get much simpler than dumping a few simple ingredients into a food processor and letting the machine do the work for you. Even better, make this dessert ahead of your time for your holiday party without anyone knowing the difference.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine drained and rinsed chickpeas, cashew butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and vegan eggnog. You can also add rum or bourbon instead of eggnog if you are preparing this as an adult dessert. Once all the ingredients are safely inside your food processor, process them until they come together into a thick, sticky, hummus-like consistency.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using two spoons or a large cookie scoop, scoop out balls about 2-3 tablespoons in size. It’s ok if they’re not perfectly smooth, remember, they’re meant to look like lumps of coal.
Once all the eggnog dough has been scooped, rolled, and placed on the lined baking sheet, put them in the freezer for about 15 minutes until firm. While you’re waiting, begin making the chocolate coating.
To make the chocolate coating, begin with a microwaveable bowl and place chopped chocolate (or chocolate chips) inside along with 1 tablespoon full of vegan eggnog. Microwave the chocolate for 15-20 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir. Return the bowl the microwave and heat for another 15-20 seconds. Continue to heat and stir the chocolate until it’s completely melted watching closely to prevent burning.
Once the chocolate is melted and the eggnog dough is hardened dip the bites into the melted chocolate. Coat evenly and thoroughly then place back on the parchment paper. Once all the bites are covered place them back in the freezer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until hardened.
You can either store the bites in the freezer until 10 minutes before serving or put them in the refrigerator if you’ll be serving them soon. They’re also great at room temperature, but make sure you watch them so they don’t melt in your cozy warm home.
Ingredient Health Benefits
Chocolate-magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, manganese; vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E; pantothenic acid; phenolic phytochemicals; flavonoids; caffeine; theobromine (antioxidant)
Cinnamon-manganese, iron, calcium, and fiber
you might also enjoy
Vegan Eggnog Bites
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup cashew butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vegan eggnog (or rum or bourbon) optional
Dark Chocolate Coating
- 4 oz vegan dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegan eggnog
Vegan Eggnog Bites
- In the bowl of a food processor combine all the vegan eggnog bite ingredients. Process until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp worth of dough and smooth into a ball. Place on the prepared cookie sheet. Continue until all the dough is used making about 12 eggnog bites.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to harden.
Dark chocolate coating
- In a microwave safe bowl combine dark chocolate and eggnog. Microwave for 15-20 seconds and stir. Continue alternating between microwaving and stirring until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Watch chocolate carefully to prevent buring.
- Remove eggnog bites from the freezer and dip into the dark chocolate coating. Place dipped bites back on the parchment paper and freeze for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Remove from the freezer about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy with a cold glass on vegan eggnog or a hot cup of coffee.