All you need to know is that these vegan Take 5 Bars are the perfect combination of sweet, salty, chocolate-y, crunchy, and chewy. They’re absolutely amazing and require only (you guessed it!) 5 ingredients to make.
Why you’ll love them
Have you ever had a Take 5 Bar? If you have- these are WAY better! If you haven’t- prepare to be blown away. Aside from being super simple to make, they’re:
- Damn delicious
Take 5 Bar Ingredients
Now, you don’t just want any pretzels for this recipe. You want pretzel snaps. They’re the ones that look like squares within a square. You could probably use the regular old pretzel twists for this, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend the sticks. You’ll have to lay out WAY too many of them.
Make sure your peanut butter is creamy, unsweetened, and unsalted. There is enough salt on the pretzel snaps- salted peanut butter would just be too much. Also, make sure that the peanut butter is runny. If yours is a bit hard, just put it in a microwave safe bowl and heat it up a bit. Stir frequently and stop once the peanut butter is pourable.
You can use either raw or roasted peanuts. Just make sure that they are unsalted. Again, it’s best to choose your level of saltiness. The pretzels
You can either purchase your own vegan caramels and melt them down into a sauce, or you can use this 5-ingredient recipe from Minimalist Baker (which I love by the way). You’ll only need half the recipe to cover the squares. You can save the other half or it you want an extra thick caramel layer use the whole batch of caramel! Make these bars your own.
Get yourself some really good dark chocolate, no added sugar, and melt it. Either in the microwave or over a double boiler.
Take 5 Bar Layers
Once you have the right ingredients, it’s time to make these little beauties. Begin by lining an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Place the pretzel snaps in a single layer in the baking dish.
As evenly as possible, pour the runny peanut butter over the pretzels. If necessary, use a rubber spatula to spread the peanut butter into an evenly layer, covering as much of the pretzels as possible.
Evenly sprinkle the peanuts on top of the peanut butter. Feel free to use more or less peanuts depending on your personal preference. You could even skip this step if you’re preparing these for young children.
Place the dish into the freezer for 10-15 minutes. When the peanut butter has hardened a bit, evenly pour the caramel sauce over the peanut/peanut butter layer. You can gently tilt the dish from side to side to evenly distribute the caramel sauce over the peanuts. Return the dish to the freezer for 6-8 hours or until the caramel sauce has hardened.
Now that the caramel sauce has set, prepare the chocolate sauce (see the section above). Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and, using a rubber spatula, spread out the chocolate. Place the bars back into the freezer until the chocolate is solid.
When you’re ready to serve these beauties, remove the dish from the freezer. Take the parchment paper out of the dish and carefully cut the block into 9 bars. Serve them immediately or return the bars to the freezer for later. Store leftovers in the freezer for up to 1 week.
I hope that you enjoy these as much as me and my family do! Let me know what you think.
Ingredient Health Benefits
Chocolate- magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium, manganese; vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, E; pantothenic acid; phenolic phytochemicals; flavonoids; caffeine; theobromine (antioxidant)
you might also enjoy
Vegan Take 5 Bars
- 8×8 inch baking dish
- Parchment paper
- 25 pretzel snaps (squares)
- ½ cup runny peanut butter
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts
- ½ batch vegan caramel* (about ¾ cup melted vegan caramel)
- 6 oz dark chocolate, melted
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place the pretzel snaps in a single layer so that they completely cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour on the runny peanut butter and, using a rubber spatula, evenly and carefully spread the peanut butter over the pretzels.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the peanuts. Gently rock the dish from side to side to evenly coat the peanuts. Place the dish in the freezer for 6-8 hours. Or until the caramel sauce has set.
- Once the caramel has set, gently pry the prezels and caramel away from the parchment paper. Place them back and prepare the chocolate.
- Place the melt the dark chocolate (either in the microwave in 10-15 second intervals stirring between or in a double boiler on the stove). Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel layer. Return to the freezer for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Once firm, remove from the freezer and cut into 9 bars. Serve. Store leftovers in the freezer to prevent melting.