Secretly full of cauliflower this vegan tater tot casserole takes comfort food to a whole new level. Ready in an hour and using 10 ingredients this weeknight dish is sure to become a family favorite. Creamy, hearty, and delicious, keep reading for the recipe.
Why you’ll love it
If you are still contemplating this dish, here are a few reasons why you should just go ahead and make it already.
The perfect cashew to water ratio will give your casserole a thick and creamy texture. And that’s what casseroles are all about right? To make the perfect cashew cream sauce for this recipe begin by bringing a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 cup of whole cashews, cover and remove from the heat. Let the cashews soak for 1 hour then drain and rinse them with fresh water.
Using a high speed blender, add the soaked cashews, 1/2 a cup of water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, and sea salt blending until smooth. Stop periodically to scrape down the sides. The longer your blend it the thicker and creamier the sauce will be. So blend away!
Tater Tot Casserole
Now that the cashew cream is ready to make this tater tot casserole, well, creamy, let’s get started. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the diced onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until it’s soft and translucent. Then add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until the garlic is fragrant.
Add riced cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes allowing the cauliflower to cook a bit before adding vegetable broth. The broth will soften the cauliflower and should cook off after about 3 or 4 minutes.
To the skillet, add the beyond beef cooking until brown, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the frozen corn and cashew cream. Mix to combine and transfer the casserole to a prepared 8×8 inch baking dish. Smooth out the mixture and top with frozen tater tots. Bake the casserole for 30-40 minutes at 375*F until the tater tots are crispy and golden brown.
Allow the casserole to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving and top it with fresh herbs if desired. This is sure to be a crowd pleaser for kids, adults, and, well I don’t really know who else you could be serving but I’m sure it’ll be a hit. Enjoy friends!
Ingredient Health Benefits
Cauliflower- fiber, vitamin C, biotin, folate, sulforaphane to block cancer-causing chemicals
Corn- fiber, vitamin B1, folate, vitamin C, pantothenic acid, phytochemicals
Onion- antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, folate
you might also enjoy
Vegan Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 cup whole cashews
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head of cauliflower, riced
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 lb vegan beef
- 1 batch cashew cream, recipe above
- ⅓ cup frozen corn
- 40 tater tots
- fresh herbs for serving
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Once boiling add cashews, cover, and remove from heat. Allow to soak for 1 hour until soft.
- Drain the cashews and rinse with fresh water.
- Add to a high speed blender with the rest of the cashew cream ingredients and blend until smooth.
Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add diced onion and cook 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add riced cauliflower and cook for 3-4 minutes before adding vegetable broth. Allow to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until soft.
- To the skillet, add the beyond beef cooking until brown, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the frozen corn and cashew cream. Mix until combined.
- Transfer the casserole to the prepared dish and smooth. Top with frozen tater tots and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Top with fresh herbs if desired.